Before I went vegan I would have never attempted to make sushi. Something about the raw fish freaks me out. But now I make sushi all time. It is easy, delicious and perfect for hot days.
To make sushi at home isn’t hard at all. I don’t even use a bamboo mat. I find that these nori sheets are the best and don’t have too much of a fishy flavor to them. To make these gluten free you can substitute soy sauce for gluten free tamari. If you want it to be soy free do not include the tofu and use tamari or coconut aminos.
1 cup of sushi rice
1 1/2 cups of water
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
Spicy Mango Roll
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Rainbow Veggie Roll
1-2 small beets [I used the steamed ones from Trader Joes]
1/2 red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper
1/4 block extra firm tofu
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp paprika (optional)
4-5 sheets of nori
**to learn how to roll sushi without a bamboo mat watch this video.
- Prepare sushi rice by adding it into a strainer. Rinse and then put water into a pot, followed by rice. Bring to a boil and then lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until it is cooked. Once cooked add in the rice vinegar and salt. Set to the side and keep covered until ready to use.
- To prepare the spicy mango roll, cut the mango into long strips. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar and seasonings into a bowl and mix together. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes. Cut cucumbers into thin long strips. Lay down a sheet of nori with the rough side facing up. Place down two big scoops of rice, cucumbers and mango and roll it up. Use a sharp knife to slice.
- To prepare the veggie roll slice up all the vegetable into long thin strips. Lay down the nori, a few scoops of rice and the vegetables. I like to lay it down beets, red pepper, orange pepper, yellow pepper and cucumber for a nice rainbow effect. Use a sharp knife and slice.
- To prepare the california roll start by slicing the tofu into strips. Add sesame oil and paprika into a pan and pan fry until golden. Slice up avocado and cucumber. Repeat the same process as rolling above.
- Top with sesame seeds and dip in soy sauce.
**this will make 4 rolls which will be about 24-32 pieces of sushi. If you only want to make one kind of roll double the ingredients.
Save to Pinterest ❤