I don’t mean to brag but I make the best chili you will ever eat. If you don’t believe me then I guess you will just have to try this recipe for yourself. However, I will say this is the most requested thing my non-vegan boyfriend eats.
Chili is so easy to make and the best for this time of year. Eat it alone, pair it with rice, sometimes I even use the leftovers in a burrito. This recipe is gluten free, soy free and packed with tons of veggies, plant protein and nutrients.
I find keep the ingredients in my chili simple makes it a million times better. I have seen a lot of recipes where people just throw every veggie under the sun in there. You can do that but…..in my opinion not every veggie belongs in chili.
1-2 tbsp water or olive oil
2 bell peppers, diced
1/2 cup vidalia onion, diced
1 can black beans (15 oz)
1 can kidney beans (15 oz)
1 cup frozen corn
1 can of tomato sauce (8 oz)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp – 1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Cashew Sour Cream
3/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight or boiled 30 minutes
1/4 – 1/2 cup water
Salt to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight or boiled 30 minutes
1 carrot, peeled and cubed
1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Prepare chili by adding water or oil into pot on a medium heat. Once it is heated add the onions and peppers in. Cook for 5-10 minutes until onions are translucent and peppers lose some of their brightness.
- Open your cans of beans and rinse well. Then add them into the pot along with the frozen corn. Mix everything together.
- Add in can of tomato sauce. Then take the can fill it halfway with water, swish it around and add that into your chili.
- Finally, add in the seasonings. Add the cayenne and chili powder to your desired level of spiciness.
- Cook the chili for at least 20 minutes on low heat. Chili will thicken and flavors will be brought out. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing burns.
- To make cashew sour cream add all ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth. Start with 1/4 cup of water and add more as necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make cheese sauce begin by adding potatoes, cashews and carrot to a pot and boiling. Boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes or fork tender. Strain and transfer ingredients into a high speed blender, along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Top with green onion, avocado, cashew sour cream, cheese sauce and enjoy!
Serves 3 (will serve more when served with rice)
Save to Pinterest ❤