Apple pie my absolute favorite pie. Delicious, seasonal and just downright comfort food. Homemade flakey pie crust with a warm, gooey apple center. Just too good to pass up on!
I decided to make my pie crust by hand but if you have a high speed food processor you can put it in there. I always make apple pie with granny smith apples but if you want to use a different kind you of course can! I also used a 9.5 inch pie plate.
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cold vegan butter, sliced
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold water
5 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Add flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Then add in 1/2 cup of cold vegan butter and 4 tbsp of water. Using the back of a fork and push down to combine flour and butter. Small crumbles should be formed.
- Add in the other 1/2 cup of vegan butter and 2 tbsp of water. Continue to mix using the back of your fork. Once small, pea like crumbles have formed dump dough onto counter.
- Using your hands lightly begin to form the dough together into a log shape. Then cut the dough in half.
- Take one half of the dough and using your hands work it into a disc shape. The heat from your hands will help the butter to melt down a bit and form the shape.
- Wrap the two discs in cling wrap and chill for 30-60 mins.
- Peel and chop your apples. Adding small amounts of lemon juice to keep it from browning.
- Once all your apples are chopped add the rest of the filling ingredients and mix together.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Roll your pie crust out to about a 12 inch circle. Using a rolling pin, roll the crust onto there and drape it in your pie dish.
- Use your hands and press the dough down. Cut off any excess and save to use for decorating.
- Add pie filling into pie crust.
- Roll out second pie crust and decorate as you like. To see how I decorated it be sure to check out the YouTube video.
- If you like brush the pie crust with a bit of almond milk and sprinkle with sugar on top.
- Bake at 375F for 40-50 minutes on middle rack. Crust should be golden.
- Cool for 30 minutes before eating