This is a recipe for those cold winter nights when you are snuggled up in your sweats and watching a cheesy holiday movie. While this is definitely comfort food it is packed with lentils which are basically small superheroes if you ask me. Full of plant based protein, fiber, iron and plenty of vitamins they are pretty darn amazing.
You can use what ever lentils you like. I prefer brown or green lentils for this, the color just works a little better. Also, I find their texture just works the best for this since it is a little bit meatier and tougher.
Another important part is the pasta. I prefer cavatappi, rigatoni or mezzi rigatoni. But I think this is best served with a hearty pasta that has ridges to really soak in all the flavors going on!
1/2 vidalia onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 celery stalk, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
8-10 oz tomato (I like Vincent’s and Rao’s)
*yes this is cheating but some jarred pasta sauces are actually very good
1 1/2 cups green lentils
12-16 oz pasta (depending on how many people you want to serve)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste (if the tomato sauce is very acidic)
1/2 block firm tofu
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup plain plant milk
- In a pot boil the lentils with enough water to cover them until they are soft. About 40 minutes. You may need to add more water during the cooking process, just check on them.
- Once the lentils are done cooking chop the onion, carrots, celery and garlic.
- In a pan with 1/2 tbsp of oil (or water if you are oil free) add the carrots, celery, garlic and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes until onions are translucent, garlic is fragrant and carrots are a bit softened.
- Then add a touch more oil so the lentils don’t stick and add the cooked lentils in.
- Add in the tomato paste and tomato sauce. I like to fill the tomato paste can up twice with water and add it to the pan.
- Add in the non-dairy milk and stir.
- Cook on a low heat for 30 minutes. Add in a touch of vegan parmesan, salt and sugar if necessary. Stir occasionally until sauce becomes thick.
- Prepare tofu ricotta by adding all ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor until it is thick and a little chunky.
- Cook the pasta to al dente.
- Once pasta is done add it into the sauce and mix together.
- Top with more vegan parmesan, basil or red pepper flakes and enjoy!
Serves 4-6 depending on serving size
Save to Pinterest ❤
*this post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you decide to purchase something I will receive a small commission which helps to support my recipe creating!