I am in love with couscous. Is it that shocking? I mean, it’s a carb, it’s comforting and delicious. I know during the holidays there is a lot of indulging so it is nice to have a meal that healthy. This couscous salad is full of vegetables, seasonal fruits and healthy fats. Whether you need it as a meal prep idea or a side dish on your holiday table you will love it.
The great thing about this couscous salad is that it is totally customizable. Add in any seasonal veggies you like. If you want to make it gluten free you can use quinoa as your base. If you want to up the protein factor you can use lentils as your base! If you do use lentils I would only use 1 and a half cups. Either way you will have a delicious meal. The measurements can be changed to add more or less of what you like.
2 cups Israeli couscous (about 250g)
2 1/2 cups water
30 brussel sprouts
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt, pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1 orange, chopped
1/4 cup tahini
1/8 cup water
1/2 tsp mustard
2 tsp maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste (a sprinkle of each)
Squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Cut the brussel sprouts in half. Place into a bowl. Add the oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Place brussel sprouts on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-30 minutes until roasted.
- Prepare couscous by bringing water and a pinch of salt to a boil. Then add the couscous in, drop the heat, and cook for 10 minutes on simmer. I like to cover it and the couscous will absorb all the water when done cooking.
- Prepare orange by peeling it and cutting it into bite size pieces.
- Roughly chop your spinach.
- Prepare dressing by adding all ingredients into a bowl and whisking together.
- Once couscous is done you can add a little squeeze of lemon juice and salt to it.
- To assemble salad add all ingredients into a bowl and mix. I like to add half the dressing and then leave half to drizzle on top,
Serves 4-6 depending on serving size.
Save to Pinterest ❤