You know what smells absolutely amazing on Christmas morning? Cinnamon rolls. You know what is even better than a cinnamon roll? A vegan nutella cinnamon roll. These babies are delicious and just perfection. Whether you want to bake them for breakfast, dessert or a snack you will be a happy camper.
1 packet of yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 cup almond milk
Small spoonful of sugar to activate yeast
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar sugar
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water)
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups hazelnuts
1 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
3/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 tsp oil
*if you like your nutella on the sweeter side add 1-2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
few drops of water or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat the almond milk in the microwave for about 1 minute. Add in a small spoonful of sugar and yeast and leave 10 mins to activate.
- Prepare flax egg by mixing flax seed and water. Set aside for 5-7 minutes to thicken.
- In a mixing bowl add the activated yeast, flax egg, vanilla extract and vegan butter. Mix together.
- Then add in the flour and brown sugar. Lightly mix together.
- You can either knead by hand or with dough hook. Knead until a smooth, elastic dough is formed.
- Form dough into a ball. Cover with a few drops of vegetable oil. Cover with a dish towel and set to rise for 1 hour.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, put the hazelnuts on it. Roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Add chocolate chips, almond milk, vanilla, salt and oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals and mix until melted.
- Once the hazelnuts are roasted, peel the skins off.
- In a food processor or high speed blender add the hazelnuts and chocolate. Blend together. You may need to add a few extra tablespoons of almond milk to help make it smoother.
- When dough is risen lightly flour your surface and roll it out.
- Roll into a big rectangle about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread the nutella down into a thin layer. Top with cinnamon and begin to roll.
- Roll into a big log and then cut it into even pieces. You will get about 16-18 cinnamon rolls depending on his big you cut them.
- Place on a pan or cast iron skillet. Cover and rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Once rolls have risen a bit more it is time to bake!
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing together powdered sugar and a few drops of water. Very slowly add the water in. If you add it too quickly you will thin your glaze out too much.
- Once cinnamon rolls are done. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Cover with glaze and enjoy!
Will make 14-18 cinnamon rolls depending on the size of your rectangle and how big you cut them.
Save to Pinterest ❤