I am alllll about comfort food, just in case you didn’t notice. But I know that there a lot of people who want healthy and still delicious meals for the holidays. These 3 side dishes are full of comfort, warmth and delicious flavors but are gluten free, vegan and healthy.
PAN FRIED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
30-40 Brussel sprouts (or as many as you like)
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp olive oil (optional)
- Prepare Brussel sprouts by cutting the end off and cutting them in half. I used purple Brussel sprouts because they just looked so pretty.
- In a pan put the Brussel sprouts face side down.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pan. Cover with a lid. Cook on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until all the water is gone.
- Once water is gone, lower the heat and let the Brussel sprouts cook for another minute. They will get a little browned and crispy.
- You can then add in olive oil if you like and the seasonings.
- Toss around to coat evenly.
Will serve 3-4 people
2 cups chickpea flour
2 cups water
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp of salt
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk together until well incorporated.
- Set aside for 30 minutes or you can refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to cook it you will need a cast iron skillet.
- Oil the pan and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes to get very hot.
- Pour the batter in and bake for 12-15 minutes. Then broil for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a minute and cut into pieces.
- Sprinkle some extra salt and red pepper flakes on top if you like. Enjoy plain, with olive oil or a spread.
Can serve up to 8 people if everyone only takes 1 slice.
*this recipe creates a thicker socca. If you prefer it to be a bit thinner cut the recipe in half.
1 head of cauliflower
1 cup of almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
- Chop cauliflower into florets.
- Boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once soft, drain water.
- In a blender place the cauliflower, almond milk, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. This works best in a high speed blender.
- Once smooth give a taste, make sure it has enough flavor.
- Place in a serving dish garnish with more pepper and parsley.
Save to Pinterest ❤