Happy 2019 everyone! I hope you all had a lovely holiday and new year! Now that we are back to reality and can’t keep eating cookies, cakes and fun treats everyday, I have an awesome recipe for you all. Stuffed peppers are one of my favorites for when I am trying to eat healthier, but still want something that is filling and comforting.
Stuffed pepper are great because they are so customizable. This is the way I grew up eating them but feel free to swap things out to better fit your dietary needs. These peppers are low calorie, vegan, gluten free (minus breadcrumbs), packed with plant protein and lots of vitamins and nutrients!
1 cup white rice (or quinoa, couscous, brown rice)
2 cups of water
1 cup vegan ground beef crumbles (or lentils)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
pinch of salt (or to taste)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan (optional)
5 whole bell peppers
1 tbsp olive oil (or if oil free water/veggie broth)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Prepare rice by adding 2 cups of water to a pot. Bring to a boil. Add 1 cup of white rice. Drop heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 18-20 minutes until rice is fluffy.
- While the rice cooks add 1 tsp of olive oil into a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat until they are translucent and fragrant.
- Add in the vegan ground beef crumbles. Cook for 3-5 minutes until they begin to crisp up a bit.
- Add in the tomato sauce and water. Cook until it bubbles about 5 minutes. Add in salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Once sauce is hot and bubbling add the peas in. Cook for another 2 minutes than take off heat.
- The rice should be done now. You can either combine rice and meat mixture or keep them separate. I prefer to keep them separate and create layers in the pepper.
- Take a baking dish and a dot of oil and lightly rub it around. Just to ensure the peppers do not stick to the dish.
- You can either leave your peppers whole and cut the top off or cut them in half. I find cutting them in half is easier because you don’t have to worry about them falling over. **YOU CAN BOIL THE PEPPERS FOR 5 MINUTES BEFORE STUFFING** this will result in a softer pepper. Sometimes I do that and sometimes I don’t.
- Begin to spoon in layers of rice and layers of the vegan ground beef sauce. Fill until you reach the top.
- You can bake them like this or you can take it one step further.
- If you like you can add a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and vegan parm on top of each. Drizzle 1-2 tsp oil amongst the peppers. If you are making these oil free then skip this step.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. The longer it bakes the softer and more blistered the peppers will become. I like to bake them for 25 minutes so the peppers still have some bite to them.
- Once they come out of the oven they should be slightly crispy on top and peppers will be softer.
Makes 5 whole peppers or 10 halves.
Save to Pinterest ❤