One of my favorite things before going vegan was coconut shrimp. But I soon realized it wasn’t the actual shrimp I liked. It was actually the crispy coconut on the outside. This recipe is easy to make, delicious and will totally satisfy a coconut shrimp craving. All the elements in this bowl work really well together but of course it is easy to customize.
The tofu works really well as a base here and it only requires a few ingredients to make this. An alternative to tofu would be the coconut cauliflower “shrimp” if you can’t have soy. This oil free, baked tofu gets so incredibly crispy. I promise you guys will go crazy for it!
To make this bowl you can really put anything you like in it. However, I found that all these flavors worked so well together. So if you like and can have all these things I would definitely say to make it this way. Pair it with a sweet chili sauce or I used an island mango salsa.
1/2 block extra firm tofu
1/2 cup shredded coconut or ground coconut chips
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/3 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
8 oz broccolini
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili paste (optional)
Salt to taste
1-2 Persian cucumbers
1/2 cup edamame
1 cup jasmine rice
3-4 oz mango, cubed
Sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a bowl add the coconut, panko breadcrumbs and sesame seeds. Mix together.
- Take the tofu and press it by wrapping it in a paper towel and apply a bit of pressure. This doesn’t need to be a full on press. Just to get some liquid out.
- Cut the tofu into your desired size and shape. I prefer smaller cubes. You can do rectangles, larger cubes, triangles whatever you prefer!
- Now you can take the tofu, place it into the almond milk and then into the breadcrumbs. I like to really make sure the breadcrumbs are packed on.
- Place the tofu onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes on the middle rack. Be sure to check it halfway through. Make sure nothing is burning and flip after about 20 minutes. The coconut can easily burn so it is important to check on it. The tofu is done when it is golden brown
- While the tofu cooks prepare the other parts of the dish.
- To cook broccolini, cut the bottom third part of the stem off.
- Bring a 1/2 cup water to a boil and then add in the broccolini. Drop the heat down to a simmer and cover to steam.
- Once all the water is gone add in the seasonings. Mix together.
- Cut up the cucumber and mango. To learn how to make cucumber rolls watch the video.
- I like to use microwavable edamame and rice from Trader Joe’s to make things easier.
- Once tofu is done cooking, assemble your bowl.
Makes 1 big serving or 2 smaller servings.
Save to Pinterest ❤