Gnocchi has always been a love of mine. Fluffy little pillows of goodness. They are easy to make and only require 3 ingredients! In an hour you can be eating gnocchi too. If you have never made it before I would suggest watching the recipe video!
These gnocchi are crisped up in some vegan butter and paired with broccolini and toasted hazelnuts. All the flavors work so well together and are perfect for these cold months. My favorite vegan butter is from Miyoko’s but anyone works fine. If you don’t like broccolini you can use kale or spinach too.
3 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 1/2-3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz broccolini (or more if you like)
1/2 cup hazelnuts
2-3 tbsp vegan butter
2-3 tsp vegan parmesan
1-2 tsp garlic powder
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork. Microwave them for 15 minutes. You can also roast them in the oven at 450F for 45 minutes. Microwaving them makes this much quicker.
- Allow sweet potatoes to cool before cutting open.
- While the sweet potatoes cook prepare the broccolini. Chop the stems off and take off any extra leaves.
- Chop the hazelnuts into small pieces and halves.
- Once the potatoes have cooled off cut them in half and scoop the insides out.
- Place them into the bowl and add the salt. You can either use a potato ricer or mash it with the back of your fork. You want the potatoes to be as smooth as possible.
- Add a 1/2 cup of flour to potatoes and mix together.
- Pour mixture out onto the counter. Then add the flour in at 1/4 cup increments at a time.
- The dough is going to be very sticky, continue to add flour in until it s no longer sticky and has formed a dough ball. The less flour you add the better because it will make the gnocchi lighter.
- Once the dough has formed you can cut it into a few long pieces. Roll it out into a log on a floured surface and then cut it into small pieces.
- You can roll them into balls if you like, roll them on the back of a fork or leave them how you cut them.
- In a big pan add 1 tbsp of vegan butter. Cook the hazelnuts on a medium low heat for 2-3 minutes until toasted. Remove from the pan.
- Add in 1/2 cup of water, add broccolini and cover to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- To cook the gnocchi place in salted, boiling water and they will cook for 3-5 minutes. They will float to the top when they are done. I like to cook 20-25 at a time.
- Once they are done, add them to the pan with the broccolini. Add in 1 tsp of vegan butter every time you add more gnocchi in to ensure they get crispy and fried. Allow them to crisp and cook for 10-15 minutes or as long as you like.
- You can also add in the garlic powder and toss to coat.
- Once the gnocchi are as crispy as you like add in most of the hazelnuts, leave a few for garnish, and the vegan parmesan. Mix together.
- Serve with extra hazelnuts on top and vegan parmesan.
Makes 3-4 servings.
Save to Pinterest ❤