Looking for a vegan, soy free, gluten free, nut free breakfast idea? Here you go! This black bean breakfast hash is a great way to start your day. It is full of delicious flavor and perfect to make for meal prep. Little potato cubes paired with red pepper, onion, black beans and then top it off with some avocado, lime, and chipotle vegan mayo! Sounds like a dream to me.
The best part about a hash is you can throw anything you want into it. So let’s say you have some old spinach laying around throw it in there. You have some extra peppers you need to use up throw them in there. It is kind of like soup, just throw it all in there and you will get a yummy result. I went with a more southwestern theme for this hash but I did use up some extra things I had laying around like Shishito peppers and some creamer potatoes!
This breakfast is great for meal prep because this recipe makes a lot and it is super easy to heat up. You can either heat it up in the microwave or throw back into a pan and let it crisp up a bit. This is great to pair with a bit of fruit or if you want you can even make some tofu scramble to go with this and put it all in a wrap! If you want this to be oil free swap the vegetable oil out for water or veggie broth (you will need a good non-stick pan too) and no vegan mayo. The potatoes will not come out as crispy though but it will still be delicious. Either way this meal is very allergy friendly and great for anyone!
1 russet potato
4 creamer potatoes (or 2 russet potatoes)
1 bell pepper
5-6 Shishito peppers (optional)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 can black beans (about 8 oz)
1 tbsp vegan mayo (I like the one from Just or Sir Kensington’s)
- Wash the potatoes and cut into small cubes. You can leave the skin on or peel it, your choice.
- In a big pan add 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil and add in the potatoes in. Add 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes. Put on a low heat and cover with a lid. Cook the potatoes or 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks.
- While the potatoes cook finally chop the peppers and onions.
- Once the potatoes have become a bit softer and are starting to get a little crisp and brown add the 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Then add in 1/4 tsp salt, the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and parsley. Toss everything together to combine.
- Cook everything for another 15 minutes. I like to toss everything and then flatten it out so the bottom can get crispy. Then after a few minutes give it another toss, flatten, let it cook and repeat. You can do this for as long as you like until everything is cooked to your preference.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking add in the black beans.
- Be sure to taste the hash and see if you need to add anymore seasonings you may need to add more salt.
- If eating right away you can top with some vegan chipotle mayo, avocado and lime juice.
- If you are meal prepping allow to cool and add it into your container. When ready to eat you can add the other things on top.
Makes 4-5 servings.
Save to Pinterest ❤
*this post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you decide to purchase an item I will receive a small commission which helps to run this blog and make recipes. Thank you!