I am calling this powerhouse pesto because there are 4 vegetables hidden in here! This is perfect to feed to your kids and if you are just looking to eat a little healthier and get some extra veggies into your diet. Pesto is always delicious and this one is just as good. It does have a little bit of a green, healthy taste to it but I think you will find it delicious!
I love making pesto because it is so easy to make. All you need is a high speed blender or food processor. A lower speed blender will be okay but just might take a bit longer. I kept this one nut free but feel free to add in pine nuts if you prefer. I also tend to keep my basil on the lower side because I am not a huge basil fan, so add as much basil as you like. Finally, I also don’t like when my pesto is saturated with oil so I only used 2 tbsp you can use more if you like or make it completely oil free by only using water.
Pesto doesn’t just have to be for pasta. I love to put it on vegetables, salads, sandwiches, wraps or really anything else you want to put it on. However, you like to use I know you guys will be a fan of this.
1 cup frozen or fresh broccoli
1 cup kale
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
2 tsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juice
1/3 cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste (start with about a 1/4 tsp of each)
- If using fresh broccoli you may want to steam it for 3-4 minutes. If it is frozen make sure it is thawed completely and the same with the peas.
- Add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and begin to blend.
- The texture should be thick like a paste. Blend until you reach your desired consistency. I blended for about 2 minutes.
- Taste it and make sure there is enough salt.
- Now you are ready to use this how you like!
Makes about 10 oz.
Save to Pinterest ❤