I love nachos. They are such a classic comfort food. Being vegan doesn’t mean you don’t get to enjoy your nachos. These nachos are not only easy to make but they are full of flavor and color. They are soy free and as long as you use gluten free chips they are gluten free! They are ready in about 15 minutes so get read to be eating some nachos!
The trick to any good platter of nachos is the cheese sauce. It is truly the glue to the platter. The second trick are layers. The worst part is when you are eating nachos and you eat that first layer off and then there is nothing underneath. Whether it’s 2 or 5 layers it is necessary.
I have been really into shishito peppers lately. If you haven’t had them they are really great because only 1 in every 10 are spicy. As much as I love spicy food, nachos are dish to be shared and not everyone tolerates heat.
1 1/2 cups vegan cheddar shreds
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 bag of tortilla chips (11-13 oz)
1 can of refried beans (be sure to check they are vegan)
1 cup black beans
1 cup corn (thawed if frozen)
4-6 shishito peppers (or 1-2 jalapeno), you can dice or slice
1/4 cup vegan sour cream (I like to use vegan cream cheese mixed with some lemon juice and water)
1-2 tbsp hot sauce (optional)
2-3 green onions, diced
garnish red cabbage and lime slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a pot add the ingredients for the cheese sauce. Cook on a medium heat until it bubbles. Cook at the bubbling temperature for 5-10 minutes. The sauce will slightly thicken and all cheese shreds should be melted. Don’t worry if the sauce seems a bit thin. It will thicken while it cooks in the oven.
- Take a sheet pan (mine was 10×15) any size will do. Lay down a layer of chips. I like to use parchment paper underneath for an easier clean up.
- Then add on the cheese sauce about 1/2 cup (transferring the sauce into a measuring cup makes for easier pouring). You can then scatter some black beans, corn, dollops of the refried beans and peppers.
- Add another small layer of chips and repeat steps 3 and 4. I like to top the nachos off with a little bit more cheese so I always leave a tiny bit of extra cheese sauce for that.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- You can then add sour cream, hot sauce, green onion, red cabbage and limes. You can also add guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, red onion, anything you like really!
Serves 2-4 people
Save to Pinterest ❤