I absolutely love Greek food. Before I went vegan spanakopita (spinach pie) was one of my all time favorite things. Tiropita is pretty similar to spanakopita. Instead of spinach and cheese inside, it is all cheese. Oh yeah, sign me up! This recipe is so easy to veganize and so delicious. A fun appetizer or snack for the summer since it is light, flakey and cheesy.
To make this recipe you only need a few ingredients, one of which is filo dough. You can usually find this in the frozen section of your food store. They are usually vegan but it is always good to double check. I get mine at Whole Foods from a brand called The Filo Factory.
These are best when eaten fresh and hot from the oven. You can try freezing them before baking if you like. I haven’t tried this but I don’t think it should be a problem. Just make sure they are completely frozen before putting them together. *THIS RECIPE MAKES 9 TIROPITA. YOU WILL HAVE LEFTOVER FILO DOUBLE RECIPE FOR MORE*
1 package of filo dough (my sheets were 13’x18′)
1/2 block medium firm or firm tofu
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (I like Kite Hill or Trader Joes)
1/3 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (I used Whole Foods brand)
1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup olive oil or more
Black and white sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp vegan cream cheese
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp water or more to thin it out
- Thaw frozen filo dough. 2 hours on the counter or overnight in the fridge. Do not use the filo dough until it is fully thawed otherwise it may break when you fold it.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Prepare the cheesy filling by crumbling the tofu with your hands. Once it is broken down add in the red wine vinegar, nutritional yeast and salt. Mix together.
- Then add in the vegan cream cheese and vegan mozzarella. Mix well to incorporate everything.
- Give it a taste and add more salt or red wine vinegar if necessary. Should be salty and slightly tangy.
- Take one sheet of filo dough and place it on a clean counter. Using a silicone brush, spread olive oil on top. Enough to cover it but do not saturate it. Add another sheet of filo and repeat. Finally add a third sheet and repeat brushing the olive oil on.
- Cut the giant rectangle into 4 smaller rectangles.
- Spoon 11/2 – 2 tbsp of filling into the bottom right corner. Then fold the corner up to make a triangle. Continue to fold the triangle up until you reach the end of the dough. It is easiest to watch the video to see how to do this.
- Repeat until all the filling is used.
- If you do not want to make triangles you can bake it in a pan like this.
- Once all the triangles are made brush them with a little extra olive oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you like.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crispy. Some filling might spill out during baking don’t worry.
- While they bake prepare dipping sauce by adding all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add more water if necessary to thin it out.
- Once the tiropita are done allow them to cool for 1-2 minutes before eating.