Before going vegan I wasn’t too big on fast food but one place I have always liked is Taco Bell. So veganizing a crunchwrap has been on my list of things to do for a little while now. But for some reason I was intimidated. I don’t know why because they are easy to make and so delicious.
The crunchwrap is so iconic because it combines a soft tortilla and the crunchiness of a tortilla chip. It is filled with ground beef, nacho cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and more cheese. This whole veganized version is pretty much identical to it’s non-vegan counterpart.
If you are nut free you will need a different cheese recipe than the one I am listing down below. You can use this one from the sheet pan nachos recipe. If you are soy free make sure to use a vegan meat replacement that doesn’t contain soy. You will also need to skip out on the tofutti sour cream. If you are gluten free you can just all corn tortillas instead of flour and make sure the meat substitute doesn’t have gluten in it.
*Sharing direct links to pictures and recipes is highly encouraged. PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste my recipes or pictures to any social media without my permission. Thank you!
12 oz vegan ground beef (I used the one from Trader Joes)
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped white onion
1 1/2 cups potato (chopped)
1/2 cup cashews
1 carrot (chopped)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1/2 cup vegan cheddar shreds (optional but highly encouraged)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk, unflavored and unsweetened
1/2 cup lettuce (chopped or shredded)
1 small tomato (chopped)
Tortilla chips or 4 tostada shells
4 12 inch tortillas
4 small street taco style tortillas
1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
Olive oil for pan frying the crunchwraps
- Boil the potatoes, cashews and carrots for 20 minutes or until everything is soft.
- In a pan add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and the onions. Cook on a medium heat until onions are translucent. Then add in the vegan ground beef and taco seasoning. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes, cashews and carrots are done cooking strain them if there is any water left.
- Place it into a blender along with the nutritional yeast, salt, vegan cheddar shreds and non-dairy milk. Blend until smooth. You may need to add more non-dairy milk to get it very smooth. Taste it and make sure there is enough salt.
- Now you are ready to assemble the crunchwraps. You may want to watch the video for help.
- Start off with a 12 inch tortilla. Place a few scoops of the vegan ground beef and place it in the center of the tortilla. The circle should be about the size of the small street tortilla.
- Now you can build the rest of the filling on top of that. Place a little bit of the cheese sauce on top. Then add the tostadas or a few tortilla chips on top of the cheese sauce.
- Next spread about 1-2 tbsp of vegan sour cream over top the tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle some lettuce and tomatoes on top. Finally, top it all off with more vegan cheese sauce.
- Then take the small tortilla and place it on top of the pile of filling.
- Fold the edges of the larger tortilla up onto the smaller tortilla. It may help to watch the video for this step. The result will be a pleated hexagon type shape.
- Flip it upside down and then place it in a lightly oiled pan.
- Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes on a medium heat. Repeat with all of them.
- Serve with extra vegan sour cream, queso or hot sauce.
Makes 4 crunchwraps.
Save to Pinterest ❤