Is it a secret that I am obsessed with dumplings? I don’t think so. I would eat them everyday if I could. These sweet and spicy dumplings are so amazing and you guys are going to absolutely love them. If you have never made homemade dumplings it is a bit time consuming BUT so well worth it. You should definitely watch the YouTube video if you need help learning how to pleat them.
You can make the dumpling wrappers homemade if you like or store bought. I have a recipe for homemade dumpling dough if you need it. You can easily find dumpling wrappers in the store though usually in the frozen section in the international aisle. They are usually vegan just be sure to double check the ingredients.
For the vegetables you can use any veggies you like. I went with broccoli, cabbage and green onion. But the options are obviously endless. I used the Thai red curry paste since that is clearly my new obsession but you can use sambal oelek or any spicy paste.
1 cup broccoli [85g]
3.5 oz firm or extra firm tofu
2 cups cabbage [3 oz]
1-2 stalks green onion
1 tbsp + 1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce [15 ml]
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste [15g]
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1 tbsp maple syrup [15 ml]
2 tbsp water
30 dumpling wrappers
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp water
Red pepper flakes to taste
- If you need to make homemade wrappers do that step first then proceed to step 2.
- Chop broccoli, cabbage, green onion and tofu into small tiny pieces. The smaller the better so it first into the dumpling wrapper.
- Prepare the sauce for vegetable tofu mixture by adding 1 tsp of sesame oil, soy sauce, Thai red curry paste, ginger powder, maple syrup and water in a bowl. Mix together until it makes a smooth sauce.
- In a big pot add all the vegetables and sauce. Cook on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until sauce is soaked up and the vegetables are tender.
- Spoon 1 tsp of filling into each dumpling wrapper and fold them however you like.
- Keep the folded done dumplings covered while you make the rest.
- Repeat until all the filling has been used.
- Once the dumplings are done add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to a pan.
- Add in all the dumplings flat side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat until they turn crispy.
- Once the bottoms are crispy enough add in 1/4 cup of water to steam. Cover the pan with a lid and steam on a medium low heat until the water is all gone.
- While the dumplings steam prepare the dipping sauce by adding all the ingredients into a bowl and mixing.
- Once the dumplings are all steamed they should be soft and somewhat see through.
- Plate them up and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
Makes 30 dumplings (serves up to 4)
SWEET AND SPICY PDF
Save to Pinterest ❤