One of my all time favorite desserts is an apple crisp. I think everyone should know how to make this because it is so easy to make and so delicious. You only need a few ingredients to make a delicious crisp. You can also change up the fruit depending on the season but my favorite is always an apple crisp.
The components of the crisp are the fruit plus the crispy oat topping. You will need all purpose flour, oats, vegan butter, organic brown sugar and cinnamon. If you are gluten free you can use gluten free all purpose flour and just make sure your oats are gluten free. For the vegan butter I like the Miyoko’s one. You can also use coconut oil just be sure to use refined coconut oil so it does not taste like coconut.
The best kind of apple for an apple crisp is a granny smith. Granny smiths are the best for baking. They aren’t super sweet and form into a delicious jelly when they bake. You can also use any apple you like though. Just keep in mind a different apples will change the taste of the crisp.
Your next decision to make will be to peel or not to peel. I prefer to peel my apples. I find the skin just has too much texture and it sorts of get in the way of the crisp. Smaller bite sized apple pieces are also my preference. Again you can cut it into slices or bigger chunks but I love when the inside is super soft and almost mushy.
*please do not repost or share my recipes or pictures without permission from me, thank you!
3/4 cup rolled oats [68g]
3/4 cup all purpose flour [90g]
1/2 cup vegan butter [112g]
1/2 cup organic brown sugar [100g]
1 tbsp cinnamon OR 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar
3 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp organic cane sugar [24g]
1 tbsp cinnamon or 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F (170C).
- Peel and chop the apples up.
- Place them into a 9 inch baking dish.
- Add the cinnamon, sugar and lemon juice onto the apples. Toss to coat.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients for the crispy.
- Use a pastry cutter, knife or potato masher to cut the cold vegan butter into the flour and oats.
- Once they are combined and small crumbles have formed spread it evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until the top is golden brown. You can also broil it for 3-5 minutes to make the top extra golden.
- Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Pair with vegan ice cream or vegan whipped cream. Best when eaten warm.
Serves 4-6 people
PDF PRINTABLE RECIPE APPLE CRISP
Save to Pinterest ❤