I have a lot of fond memories of matzo ball soup. We had a Jewish deli nearby where we would get the best matzo ball soup and knishes. They were always so delicious. Matzo ball soup, referred to as Jewish penicillin, is delicious and easy to make. Real matzo balls contain egg so they are not vegan friendly but with this recipe you can enjoy all the matzo balls you want!
First things first you are going to need matzo meal or some sort of matzo ball mix. The one I used was from Streit’s but there is also one from Manischewitz. The main ingredient in the matzo ball is obviously matzo. If you don’t know what matzo is, it is an unleavened flatbread. Matzo ball soup is very traditional for Passover but it is eaten and enjoyed all year round. If you are looking for more Hanukkah recipes check out my vegan latkes and vegan sufganiyot (jelly donuts).
The soup is very easy to make and you are just making a basic broth. You can also go crazy and add some vegan chick’n in there or noodles but I prefer the matzo balls to be the star of the show. Their texture is very distinct, slightly chewy, fluffy and just all around delicious.
I don’t want to step on any toes with the recipe because I am by no means saying I have perfected matzo ball soup. There are lot of variations and things you can do to your matzo balls. For example, you can add a little more baking soda (although the mix does have it in there already) or play around with using seltzer water. Whatever you decide to do you will have a warm, delicious bowl of soup and it will be amazing.
1 box of matzo ball mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 vegan “eggs”
*it is important to use an egg replacer like Bob’s Red Mill or Ener-G egg for this
1-2 tbsp water
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 carrot, chopped
1-2 celery ribs, chopped
1/3 onion. chopped
1 tsp oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the vegan egg replacer according to box directions.
- In a bowl add the egg replacer, oil and 1 packet of matzo ball mix from the package. This will make 9 matzo balls good for 2 servings. If you want more double the recipe.
- Mix everything together and then slowly add in 1-2 tbsp of water. This will help the dough stick together better. You do not want it to be very wet just able to hold it’s shape.
- Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
- Chop up all the vegetables and place in a bit pot with the oil. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Then add the vegetable broth and water into the pot. Add any salt and pepper if you like, especially if you are using low sodium vegetable broth. Bring to a boil for about 20 minutes.
- Take the matzo ball mix and scoop out 1 tbsp of the mix. Wet your hands lightly and roll the mix into a neat ball. I find it easier to do this if your hands are slightly wet.
- Once all the balls are rolled out drop the soup down to a simmer. Add the matzo balls into the soup.
- Place a lid and let these simmer for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve add a crack of black pepper and dill if you like.
PDF PRINTABLE RECIPE MATZO BALL SOUP
Save to Pinterest ❤