I can be the first to admit that this isn’t the most beautiful dish but honestly, what casserole looks good? Casseroles are messy, mushy, delicious comfort food. They don’t need to be pretty because they taste so amazing. This casserole is made in a slow cooker which makes it even more amazing. It is great as a main or a side dish and you are going to sneak some extra veggies into your diet with it!
I wanted to give you guys a recipe that had all the creaminess and comfort of a typical casserole minus all the fat and calories. This dish gets its creaminess from an easy cheesy sauce made from carrots, potato and white beans. (No nuts here!) Combined with the chewy, nutty brown rice and the broccoli this dish is delicious.
I love that the broccoli gets broken down so much you don’t even realize how much of it you are eating. Combined with all the goodness from the cheesy sauce it is such a great way to sneak more veggies in for you or your family. I decided to use brown rice in mine but you can use any rice you like or quinoa. I also think barley would work well in here too.
Finally, I did add some vegan cheese on top. This is completely optional and you do not have to do it. It will still be delicious without it but I like the little something extra it adds. My favorite vegan cheeses are the 365 by Whole Foods, Violife and Daiya Cutting Board Shreds.
1 potato, peeled and chopped [330g]
1 carrot, peeled and chopped [35g]
1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinse [15 oz]
2 cups non-dairy milk, unsweetened and unflavored [500ml]
*or you can use vegetable broth
2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast [10-15g]
1 cup brown rice, dry [180g]
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth [500ml]
1 bag frozen broccoli [460g]
1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste/optional
1 cup vegan cheese *optional
- Boil the potatoes, carrots and beans for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- In a blender add the cooked potatoes, carrots, beans, non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast and 1 tsp of salt. Blend until smooth. If you need to add in more non-dairy milk to help it blend feel free and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- In the slow cooker add the broccoli, brown rice, cheesy sauce, vegetable broth, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix together.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6:30-7 hours.
- In the last half hour add the vegan cheese sprinkled on top and cover to melt.
- When cheese is melted and done cooking wait a few minutes before serving. As this cools it will thicken more.
Save to Pinterest ❤