Up until a little over a year ago I never had Shepherd’s pie but now I really love it. It is filling, delicious and easy to make. The filling combined with cauliflower mash on top, instead of mashed potatoes, is a match-made in heaven. If you have never had vegan Shepherd’s pie you are truly missing out and it is time to try it!
If low carb recipes aren’t your thing or you don’t really care I have a lentil Shepherd’s pie on my blog already that is absolutely delicious. However, this version was absolutely delicious so I definitely encourage you to give it a try. Mashed cauliflower is going to help give this dish comfort with less carbs and of course a decent serving of vegan butter.
You will get two servings from this recipe. You can share this of course or save the other half for leftovers. However, I would eat them within a day because cauliflower gets a little funky after being in the fridge for a while. The nutrition information for one serving is: 440 calories, 38.7G carbs, 30G protein and 19.4G fat. *different ground beef crumbles will alter macros but should be somewhat similar.
Depending on which brands of meatless crumbles you use this recipe is soy free and gluten free. Also, depending on the brand of vegan butter you use and non-dairy milk it can be made nut free. So if you have any allergies just plan accordingly. I used the Lightlife Smart Ground for this recipe which does contain soy and wheat but it is delicious. There are plenty of options such as Beyond Meat Beyond Beef, Impossible Ground, Lightlife Ground, Meatless Farms Mince, Gardein Beefless Crumbles and Trader Joe’s Beefless Crumbles to name a few.
1/3 cauliflower [250g]
1/4 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened and unflavored [60ml]
1 1/3 cup ground beef crumbles [225g]
*I use Lightlife Smart Ground
1 carrot, peeled and chopped [40g]
1/3 vidalia onion, chopped [60g]
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth [360ml]
1/2 cup frozen peas [80g]
1/2 cup frozen corn [80g]
2 tsp cornstarch [5g]
2 tbsp vegan butter [28g]
*I use Miyoko’s
1/2 tbsp oil [10g]
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 dried rosemary
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F [218C].
- In a pot add the cauliflower and boil for 20 minutes until cauliflower is fork tender.
- In a pan add the oil along with the carrots, corn, peas and onions on a medium heat. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add in the vegan ground beef crumbles.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 tsp of vegetable broth. Add in the vegetable broth and the cornstarch slurry to the pan.
- Mix everything and it will thicken a bit while it cooks. Season with the garlic powder, onion power, thyme, rosemary, black pepper and salt if you like.
- Allow this to cook for a few minutes should be thickened up a bit.
- Once the cauliflower is done drain it. Add the vegan butter, non-dairy milk and salt to taste. Mash with a fork until smooth.
- In an oven safe dish add the meaty filling then top with the mashed cauliflower.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and broil for 5-7 minutes. It should be firm to the touch and a bit golden on top.
- Top with extra thyme and black pepper.
Makes 2 servings
PDF PRINTABLE SHEPHERD’S PIE
Save to Pinterest ❤