My first vegan Thanksgiving I bought these Gardein breaded “turkey” cutlets with a gravy. To be honest it was oily and reminded me more of a chicken cutlet. It wasn’t bad but not great either. So I was inspired to try and make my own take on something similar and it was amazing.
Golden crispy tofu paired with a delicious, creamy gravy is all you are going to want to eat from now on. The tofu is marinated in seasonings and spices similar to turkey so it gives your that familiar taste.
I think this is a dish that is great for vegans but I am not sure how it would go over with non-vegans. While it is incredibly delicious and will give your dish that meaty boost, I think some non-vegans might be confused by this dish.
1 block of extra firm tofu
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 lemon (juice)
2-3 sprigs of rosemary
2-3 sprigs of thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp seasoning salt (Trader Joe’s)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp parsley
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp all purpose flour (or cornstarch for gluten free)
- Prepare tofu by pressing it. Wrap it in a towel and squeeze to get out excess water.
- Slice tofu into rectangles. Can be as thick or as thin as you like.
- Place tofu in a container.
- Add the vegetable broth, lemon juice and seasonings (rosemary to parsley) into the container with the tofu.
- Seal the container and gently shake around to make sure all the tofu has some of the marinade on it.
- The longer the tofu sits in the marinade the more flavor it will have. You can do this up to 2 days in advance or the morning before cooking.
- Once you are ready to cook the tofu preheat the oven to 400F.
- Take the tofu out and if there are any rosemary needles on the tofu pull them off and coat the tofu in breadcrumbs.
- Because the tofu is wet, the breadcrumbs will stick and this is to just provide a light coating.
- Place the tofu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat to all the tofu slices.
- DO NOT THROW OUT LEFTOVER MARINADE IT WILL BE USED TO MAKE GRAVY.
- To help the tofu crisp up a bit more lightly drizzle olive oil the slices. Bake for 17-20 minutes until golden and crispy.
- To make the gravy first start by straining the leftover marinade to get out any big herbs or seasonings left behind.
- Take the liquid and put it into a sauce pan. Add 2 more cups of vegetable broth.
- Add the flour and if you like a little extra salt.
- Whisk until it has formed a thick texture. It should go from translucent to opaque.
- Before serving heat the gravy and if it has thickened you can always add in a few teaspoons of water to help thin it.
- To serve place the tofu on a dish, drizzle with some gravy, a few cracks of black pepper and garnish with fresh thyme and lemon.
Serves 3-5 people depending on how many cutlets you make.
*I made 11 cutlets from my tofu block
Save to Pinterest ❤