Before I went vegan French onion soup was my favorite soup. I mean honestly, who doesn’t love bread and cheese in their soup? I haven’t had French onion soup since going vegan but today I was reunited with it and I was so happy.
5 sweet onions (32 oz/908g)
2 tbsp vegan butter (I like Miyoko’s)
2 tbsp oil
64 oz veggie stock
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
OR 1/4 cup dry white wine
2 bay leaves
4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste (around 1/4 tsp)
Sugar** optional 1 tsp if you like it sweeter
6-9 slices bread
1/2 cup grated vegan mozzarella (or more)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan Follow Your Heart
1/4 cup grated vegan parmesan Violife
- Take your onions cut them in half, peel the skin and begin to thinly slice the onions.
- In a big pot add the vegan butter and oil. Allow to melt and then add in the onions.
- Cook the onions down on a low heat for 30-40 minutes. This slow cooking process and caramelization process is what makes this soup so tasty, so just be patient.
- Once onions are about done cooking preheat oven to 350F.
- Once the onions are cooked down add in the apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. You can also use white wine instead of the vinegar. Whichever you prefer!
- Then add in the veggie stock, bay leaves and thyme and cook for 15-20 minutes. I like to put the bay leaves and thyme in something so I can easily get them out before eating.
- Slice the bread and toast it in the oven for 5-10 minutes to get it crispy and toasted.
- Get oven safe ramekins or bowls and place them on a baking sheet.
- Add soup into bowls, add a few pieces of bread, sprinkle with all the cheese and broil on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Cheese should bubble and be golden.
- Top with fresh thyme and a crack of black pepper. Be careful the bowls will be hot!
Will serve 5-7 people.
Save to Pinterest ❤