An empanada is one of those things that I thought would be incredibly hard to make, but luckily it isn’t! These baked empanadas are so good and you are going to want to eat them all the time. They are filled with corn, pepper, black beans, vegan cheese and a bunch of delicious seasonings. They are fun to make and even more if you have someone to do it with you! So grab someone you like and start making your empanadas!
Empanadas are usually fried, but I actually prefer baking them! I am going to show you how to bake them in this recipe but just remember you can always deep fry these too. Either way you will be sure to love them.
Empanadas are awesome because you can really fill them with anything you like! I have had vegan buffalo cauliflower and vegan potato and cheddar which were both delicious too. So feel free to shake up the filling and get creative.
1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold vegan butter
5 tbsp cold water
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans (15.5 oz)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 ts onion powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
2-3 tbsp water
1/4 cup vegan sour cream
1 tbsp vegan ranch
1/2 cup vegan cheddar shreds
2-3 tbsp plant based milk
- Prepare dough by adding the flour and salt into a bowl. Mix with a fork to combine. I like to add the vegan butter and water in, in halves. However, you can add it all in if you like. Using a fork begin to mix it together until you get pea sized crumbles. Then add in the rest of butter and water and continue to mix. Finally, once it can’t be mixed anymore with the fork use your hands. Work it together until you have formed a smooth dough ball. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- In a pan add in water. Then add in the bell pepper, cook on a medium low heat for 5-7 minutes to soften.
- Then add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for 10-12 minutes. The black beans should begin to break down and this will help to bind the filling. You can also mash them with the back of a fork or spatula. Taste the filling and make sure you do not want to add any other spices.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Take the dough out and cut it in half. Work with one half at a time and place the other half back into the refrigerator.
- Flour the surface and roll your dough out to about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a glass, biscuit cutter or jar lid cut out about 3-4 inch circles. I got 16.
- Take the scraps, work them back into a ball and repeat. Then repeat with the other dough half. If you feel the empanada circles are becoming too soft put them back into the refrigerator.
- Now you can take a circle, press it down a bit to make it a little bigger and add in about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of filling. This will just depend on the size of the circle. Add in a few pieces of vegan cheese. Wet the edge and fold it over. Make sure to press it down and give it a good seal. Crimp the edges with a fork and if your fork is sticking dip it in a bit of flour.
- Repeat with all the circles.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and you can brush on a bit of non-dairy milk. This will help to make the top more golden.
- Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes. The empanadas should be golden.
- Make the ranch dip by mixing together the two ingredients. Garnish the cooked empanadas with green onion and enjoy!
Makes 16 empanadas.
Save to Pinterest ❤