I love potato croquettes. I used to love sometimes at restaurants they would just magically appear as a little side with your meal. Why are these little things so magical? I will tell you. It is essentially mashed potatoes that have been coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried. Who wouldn’t want that? To keep this version a little lighter and healthier bake these. I also added in some vegan cheese in the middle so you get some ooey gooey melted goodness in the middle.
The vegan version is pretty easy to make and even more fun to eat. These can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs. These are also soy free and nut free (depending on the plant milk you use). So these work pretty well for people with allergies.
A fun variation on these would be to add some spinach into the croquette or even using sweet potatoes. You can make them into any shape you prefer but for some reason.I always think of croquettes as being in a log shape. Either way these are a fun treat and I think these are also so fun for a summer party.
3 russet potatoes (1000g)
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
Chickpea flour “egg” wash
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup water
3-4 oz vegan mozzarella
Fresh parsley and vegan parmesan for garnish (optional)
Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Peel the potatoes, poke with a fork to vent and cut into thirds. Microwave for 10-12 minutes, until fork tender. *if you do not want to microwave or do not own one you can also steam the potatoes or bake them for 30-40 mins. If you bake them leave them whole and unpeeled. It is important not to boil them, it will add in too much water.
- While the potatoes cook prepare the breading mixture. Add all the ingredients into a large dish and mix together.
- Prepare “egg” wash by adding all ingredients into a bowl and mixing together.
- Cut the vegan mozzarella into small cubes about 20 of them.
- Once potatoes are fork tender they are ready to be mashed. Add in the salt and non-dairy milk and mash. Try to get the mashed potatoes as smooth as possible. You can add more salt to taste.
- My potatoes weren’t completely smooth and had a few clumps and it was totally fine. I actually prefer it that way.
- Then take about 2 tbsp of the mashed potatoes into your hand. Flatten it out into a circle. Add a piece of cheese in the middle and form it into a log shape. I find it easier to do this when your hands are slightly wet.
- Dip into the shaped potato mixture into the chickpea “egg” wash and then roll in breadcrumbs. Set aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat until all the potatoes are used.
- Chill the croquettes for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Then you can add some olive oil or oil spray to them and bake for 25-27 minutes. Flip them halfway through.
- They should be golden and crispy when they are all done. You can also deep fry these if you prefer.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and vegan parmesan. Serve with tomato sauce or some fresh lemon.
Makes 16-20 (depending how big you make them)
Save to Pinterest ❤