Prior to going vegan one of my favorite summer meals was some sort of fish with a fruit salsa and rice. It was delicious but the flavors were light. AND LET ME TELL YOU this meal beats any of the memories I had of that meal. This tofu is a little bit sweet, spicy and tangy combined with a light, fluffy coconut rice and topped off with a fresh cucumber and peach salsa. Ready in around 30 minutes this meal is sure to please anyone!
I had frozen tofu so that is what I used for this but fresh tofu is totally fine. You want a firmer tofu for this firm or extra firm. I love to freeze my tofu because the texture of the tofu completely changes. It is denser, chewier and in my opinion a bit more meat like. To freeze the tofu is very easy just put a whole container of tofu in the freezer overnight, let it thaw on the counter the next day, drain the water and that’s it! You will have to press the tofu longer or harder since it will have absorbed more water. If you are soy free I think a great replacement for this could be the breaded cauliflower from my sweet and spicy cauliflower wings or this glaze would go great on big slabs of zucchini. Aside from the tofu (soy) this recipe is extremely allergy friendly as it is nut and gluten free!
If I am being honest I don’t know if there is a traditional way of making coconut rice. I looked at a few recipes online and ended up going with my own variation. This coconut rice is subtle. I am thinking it is because I used light coconut milk. You can use light or full fat coconut milk. I also used plain long grain white rice but jasmine or basamati rice would work really well here too.
Finally, let’s talk about this salsa. I am such a big fan of fruity salsas. I think they are fun, refreshing and perfect for summer. You can use any kind of fruit you like: strawberry, peach, mango, nectarine, blueberry – I mean anything. I love peach salsas so that is what I went with, of course use any fruit you have access to.
*Sharing direct links to pictures and recipes is highly encouraged. PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste my recipes or pictures to any social media without my permission. Thank you!
Sticky Chili Lime Tofu
1 block firm or extra firm tofu [14 oz]
3 tbsp cornstarch [24g]
1 tbsp sesame oil [15ml]
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup maple syrup [60ml]
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp water
1 cup white rice, dry [180g]
1 cup water [240ml]
1 cup canned coconut milk [195g]
1 tsp cane sugar [4g]
1/2 tsp salt
Peach Cucumber Salsa
1 large peach [170g]
1 oz red onion [10g]
1/2 cucumber [80g]
1/4 jalapeno pepper
Optional: sesame seeds, flat leaf parsley, toasted coconut, lime
- Prepare the coconut rice by adding all the ingredients into a pot. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. The liquid will be all absorbed and rice should be fluffy.
- While the rice cooks prepare the tofu by pressing it and cutting the tofu into 6 big rectangles. Cut the tofu into thirds the long way so you have 3 thinner, large squares. Then cut those squares in half.
- Coat the tofu in the cornstarch this helps to make a nice crust. If you can’t have cornstarch it is okay to skip this step.
- In a large pan add half of the sesame oil and 3 rectangles of tofu. Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes on a low heat until golden. When those are cooked remove from the pan add the rest of the sesame oil and repeat with the other 3 tofu rectangles.
- To prepare the sticky chili lime sauce add the lime juice, maple syrup, water and seasonings together in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
- If your pan is big enough to add all 6 tofu rectangles you can do this next step all at once. Add 3 pieces of the tofu in and half the sauce. Cook the tofu in the sauce on a low medium heat and the sugars in the maple syrup will begin to caramelize. It will go from a liquid to a thick glaze. You can flip the tofu while it cooks and rub the glaze over it as it thickens.
- Once the sauce has turned into a completely sticky glaze you can either take the tofu out or let it cook a little longer to blacken.
- While the tofu cooks you can prepare the salsa by chopping all the ingredients very small and adding them to a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Plate the dish up by adding some of the coconut rice, two pieces of tofu and some of the salsa to a dish. Garnish with lime, sesame seeds, toasted coconut flakes and flat leaf parsley if you like.
PDF PRINTABLE RECIPE
Save to Pinterest ❤