I have been so into ramen all summer. I am very excited for the colder months when it is slightly more acceptable to want ramen everyday. So here is a new ramen recipe to get you through the fall and winter. I took the flavors of pad Thai and combined them with creamy coconut milk and noodles to make this beauty!
This soup plays off the flavors of the traditional flavors of Pad Thai. One of the first things you will need is tamarind paste. This is a key ingredient that tends to get overlooked when it is made at home. People use peanut butter or ketchup in their Pad Thai which is not the same. Tamarind paste is actually super inexpensive. I got mine at my local Asian market for $2.99. You can also find it online.
Another element of Pad Thai is fish sauce. Since this is a vegan recipe we obviously did not use that. I went with some soy sauce to provide a nice umami but you can always use a vegan fish sauce. Finally, let’s talk about heat. If you want to make it super authentic get some Thai chilies but to make my life a little easier I went with sriracha.
To make this soup soy free swap out the soy sauce for tamari or coconut aminos and leave out the tofu. To make it gluten free swap the soy sauce for tamari or coconut aminos. Also, make sure to use gluten free ramen. I really like the Lotus Foods brown rice and millet ramen. To make it nut free just omit the peanuts.
1 nest of ramen [70g]
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup light coconut milk
4 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
4 small heads bok choy, chopped [80g]
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 shallot, diced
2 tsp sesame oil
1/8 cup roasted peanuts, chopped [14g]
3-4 stalks green onion
Microgreens and sesame seeds
Pad Thai Sauce
1 tbsp organic brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp sriracha
1/8 lime, juiced
- Prepare the Pad Thai sauce by adding all the ingredients into a bowl and whisking together. If you do not like your food spicy add less sriracha.
- In a pot add 1 tsp of sesame oil, the shallots and garlic. Cook on a low heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the broth, coconut milk and Pad Thai sauce. Bring to a boil.
- While waiting for it to boil you can chop up the bok choy, peanuts, green onion and tofu.
- In a pan add 1 tsp of sesame oil and pan fry the tofu until crispy.
- Once the soup is boiling add the ramen, bok choy and half of the green onion. Mix together and boil until ramen is cooked.
- When the soup is done and tofu is crispy you are ready to plate the soup!
- Add it into a big bowl and top with extra lime juice, lime, sriracha if you like, peanuts, remaining green onion and microgreens.
- If you want to make it even more like Pad Thai you could add in bean sprouts, vegan scrambled egg or even make the soup with Pad Thai noodles.
Makes 1 big serving or 2 smaller ones.
PDF PRINTABLE RECIPE
Save to Pinterest ❤