Looking for a fun, easy recipe to tie you between the summer and fall season? Try these zucchini corn fritters. They are gluten free, vegan, and made with minimal ingredients. They are also around 90 calories per fritter and are not deep fried. They are lightly pan fried and then baked in the oven.
These fritters only require 9 ingredients 2 of which are salt and pepper. I decided to make these gluten free and use chickpea flour for the added nutritional value but you can use any flour you like. This would work great with white or whole wheat flour. Zucchini and corn pair so well together and have lots of good flavor.
You can of course really deep fry these in lots more oil if you like but pan frying it quickly and baking it gives pretty much the same effect. I like doing this because deep frying can be a bit of a pain, makes your house smell like oil and is of course not the healthiest option.
If you want to add in other things to these fritters I think carrots, cabbage or onion would great. These go really well with savory dipping sauces since they are a little bit sweet from the corn. I actually like to pair it with the Trader Joe’s Cashew Fiesta Dip. I swear that stuff is so life changing. If you haven’t tried it I don’t know what you are waiting for! These would also work great with a vegan ranch or a vegan chipotle mayo.
2 large zucchini [545g]
1 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn [200g]
3/4 cup chickpea flour [90g]
2 tbsp olive oil [30g]
2 tbsp ground flaxseed [15g]
4 tbsp water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast [10g]
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare flax egg by adding flax seed and water and mixing together. Set aside for 5 mins to thicken.
- Grate the zucchini into small shreds.
- If using frozen corn microwave it.
- Using a strainer and spatula, press down and drain and the zucchini and corn (only if you are using frozen). It is important to get out as much water as possible.
- Once the zucchini and corn are dried out place it into a big bowl.
- Add flax egg, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper into the zucchini and corn. Mix together. Mixture should be sticky and hold it’s shape. You may need to add in more chickpea flour.
- In a big pan add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Fill a 1/4 cup measuring cup with batter and shape into a circle. Place in the hot oil.
- Add enough to fill the pan but leave space to flip. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Should be golden and crispy.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add in more oil and repeat with the remaining batter. I got 10 fritters from this.
- Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes, flipping halfway through. The fritter should be firm and hold it’s shape.
Makes 10 fritters.
PDF ZUCCHINI CORN FRITTERS
Save to Pinterest ❤