Long time no see guys! Sorry for being a bit MIA I was busy working on my new ebook which is now out for purchase if you are interested. But now I am back in action! So let’s kick off our holiday recipes with these amazing vegan chick’n pot pies. A homemade flakey pie crust that is so rich and buttery (minus the butter of course) combined with a hearty, creamy filling.
I wanted to make this as close to a classic chicken pot pie as I could and honestly I think I nailed it. Making a vegan chick’n pot pie is actually not all that hard and easy to customize. If you don’t want to use a vegan chick’n you can use lentils, a vegan ground beef, beans or just add in tons of veggies. Either way it is going to taste delicious.
So the question is do you want to make one big pot pie or a bunch of minis? I found this absolutely adorable mid-size baking dish from Rae Dunn and it was just too cute not to make the pot pie in there. That specific baking dish is 6 inches wide and 3 inches deep. But you could make 3-4 mini pot pies in ramekins or 1 big pot pie in a 9 inch pan. Really whatever you like!
To make this pie gluten free just use a gluten free all purpose flour instead. Also, be sure to check that whatever vegan chick’n you use does not contain any gluten aka avoid seitan. To make this pie soy free make sure your vegan chick’n does not contain any soy or your vegan butter. To make this nut free just make your vegan butter doesn’t contain nuts.
*please do not repost or share my recipes or pictures without permission from me, thank you!
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour [330g]
1 cup vegan butter, cold [224g]
6 tbsp ice cold water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 package Tofurky chick’n
1 tbsp olive oil [15ml]
3 carrots, chopped [90g]
1/2 onion, chopped [100g]
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 tbsp all purpose flour [24g]
3 tbsp vegan butter [42g]
1 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened and unflavored [240ml]
1 cup vegetable broth [240ml]
1 1/4 cup frozen peas [190g]
2/3 cup corn [90g]
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Prepare the dough by sifting the flour.
- Then add in the salt and sugar. Mix together.
- Make a well and add in the water and cut in the vegan butter.
- Using a fork work everything together until small pea sized crumbles form. You can also do this in a food processor.
- On a clean, floured surface empty the dough out and knead with your hands. Knead for about 1-2 minutes until the dough comes together.
- Cut the dough into two pieces and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- While it chills add oil, onions, carrots and garlic to a big pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat until onions are clear.
- Then add the vegan butter in and cook until it melted.
- Once it is melted add in the flour and stir. Cook until flour no longer looks raw and is brown.
- Then add in the non-dairy milk and vegetable broth. Cook for 1-2 minutes until thickened and stir to make sure the flour does not form any clumps.
- Add in the frozen peas, corn, chick’n, salt, pepper and thyme and mix together. Cook for 3-4 minutes until everything is well incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 400F [200C].
- On a clean, floured surface roll the dough balls out to be about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Only work one piece of dough at a time as it is very important for the dough to stay chilled.
- Drape the dough over the dish and then press it in, cut off any excess dough.
- Add the filling into the middle.
- Using the other piece of dough, roll it out again and drape it over the top.
- Cut off any excess dough.
- Make an X on top to ventilate the pie. Then seal the edges by either fluting the pie or using a fork to press down on the edges.
- This is optional: if you like mix 2 tbsp of non-dairy milk + a pinch of turmeric together. Brush on top of the pie to make it extra golden.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until it is golden brown on top.
- Allow the pie to sit for 5 minutes before enjoying.
CHICK’N POT PIE PRINTABLE RECIPE
Save to Pinterest ❤