I won’t lie to you guys in my family we grew up eating biscuits from the can. While they are delicious and good there is nothing like a homemade biscuit. They have better flavor, better texture and are actually very easy to make. They only require 7 ingredients and I bet you already have them in your house!
To make these biscuits you are going to only need all purpose flour, vegan butter, non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, baking powder, salt and sugar (optional). I have not tested this with any gluten free flours so I am not sure how it would work if you used gluten free all purpose flour. For the vegan butter I used Earth Balance but you can use Miyoko’s, the new Country Crock vegan butter or anything else you have accessible to you.
So I watched a lot of videos and did research on tricks to making the perfect biscuit. I also learned a few things along the way. First of all cold vegan butter and cold non-dairy milk equal flakier texture. Just like when we make a homemade pie crust you want everything to be very cold. Grating your vegan butter makes it much easier to add it to your biscuit dough rather than cutting it in. Finally, you need to mix biscuit dough by hand. Overworking the biscuit dough will result in an undesirable texture. It is also possible to underwork it but you run more of a risk of overworking it.
So how do we get all those flakey layers? Folding the dough. Just like when you make a croissant you achieve flakey layers through folding. You can fold the dough about 5-6 times and that will make nice layers.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour [300g]
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 cup buttermilk (1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp organic cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 450F (232C).
- Prepare vegan buttermilk by mixing very cold non-dairy milk (unsweetened and unflavored) with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix together.
- Grate the vegan butter using a box grater.
- In the bowl make a well and add the vegan buttermilk in. Gently mix the flour and allow it to absorb the liquid.
- Then add in the vegan butter and continue to gently stir. Mix the dough carefully until it comes together and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Empty the dough out onto a clean, floured surface and work the dough into a medium sized rectangle.
- Then lift the dough and fold it over itself. Repeat the process of gently pressing the dough to spread it out, lifting and folding 5 more times.
- Then finally work it into one more medium sized rectangle about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or mason jar lid cut the biscuits out.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper touching each other. This will help them to rise better as they bake.
- Repeat steps 7-11 with the excess dough.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm out of the oven.
Makes 11-12 biscuits
PDF PRINTABLE RECIPE SOUTHERN BISCUITS
Save to Pinterest ❤