I have never had an actual Big Mac. I am putting that as the first sentence as a disclaimer. However, what I made was pretty damn delicious and I would consider it to be pretty close to a real Big Mac. The burger itself is pretty standard onions, pickles, lettuce, American cheese. The real magic comes from the special sauce.
So, let’s talk about this special sauce. There have been many attempts as to figure out what the heck is in there. Is it Thousand Island dressing? Is it French dressing? Is it ketchup, mayo and mustard? According to the McDonald’s website it is “a creamy, delicious balance of sour, zesty mustard flavor, pickle relish, onion powder, and savory tastes.” So I think what I made is a pretty close estimate to their special sauce. Of course I could never get it to actually taste like theirs. Since mine is vegan and most likely uses way less artificial and processed ingredients. But regardless it was delicious and I want to eat it on all the burgers I have for the rest of my life.
For this recipe I decided to go with Beyond Burgers. In the US they are pretty much the closest thing you can buy to a burger. I know not everyone has access to Beyond Burgers. So here are some suggestions if you can’t find them: Lightlifes Plant Based “Beef” Burgers, Morningstar Meat Lover Vegan Burger, Aldi’s Meat Free Butcher burger, Oumph Burger, Gardein Burgers and many more options. You can really use any “burger” you like for this but it is best to find ones that replicate ground beef more rather than a veggie burger.
As for the toppings keep it classic. Chopped white onion, slices of dill (I believe McDonald’s uses sour dill) pickles, lettuce and vegan American (or cheddar is fine) cheese. Sesame seed buns and you will need 1 and a half buns for this 1 top and 2 bottoms. Pair it with some fries and you are ready to jump into vegan fast food heaven!
*Sharing direct links to pictures and recipes is highly encouraged. PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste my recipes or pictures to any social media without my permission. Thank you!
1 Beyond Meat burger [4 oz]
*see notes above if you can’t find Beyond Burgers
1/8 tsp salt (distributed per patty side)
1/4 tsp pepper (distributed per patty side)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (distributed per patty side)
1/8 white onion, chopped
1/4 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1-2 dill or sour dill pickles, sliced or 8-12 sour dill pickle slices
1 piece vegan American or Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup vegan mayo
1 tbsp sweet dill or dill relish
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp ketchup
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 sesame seed buns (1 top and 2 bottoms)
- Prepare special sauce by adding all ingredients into a bowl. Mixing well together until sauce turns light orange and refrigerate. Can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
- Prepare all the vegetables by chopping onions, vegetables and cucumbers if need be.
- Take 1 Beyond Beef patty and cut it in half.
- Using a fork mold the patties into thinner, smaller patties. Top with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring it over to a non-stick pan (if you use a regular pan, you may want to add a drop of oil) and put the seasoned side down. Then add the remaining seasonings to the same side.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side until brown. Flip once so each side gets cooked. Extra oil is really not required as there already is a lot of oil in the Beyond Meat patties. If using a different patty with less oil you may want to add a dot of oil.
- Once the patties are cooked turn off pan and remove one patty. Add a piece of vegan cheese to the patty to lightly melt and add the buns into the pan to lightly toast.
- Assemble the burger according to a McDonald’s Big Mac. Start by taking one bottom bun and spreading some special sauce. Add lettuce, the vegan cheese, a patty and some onion. Add the second bottom bun, you may need to cut this in half depending on how thick it is. Spread special sauce, lettuce and pickles. Then add the remaining patty, top with more onion and finally the top bun.
- You may need to squish the burger down a bit. Pair with fries if you like and enjoy!
Makes 1 Big Mac.
*you will have enough toppings and sauce to make a second one.
PDF PRINTABLE RECIPE
Save to Pinterest ❤
Plantifully Based® is part of the Amazon Affiliate Partner Program. Links on here may be from Amazon and if you decide to purchase through a link I will receive a small commission. This helps to run the blog and make more recipes!