Have you guys had polenta before? Not only is it delicious, it’s easy to make and gluten free! There are two kinds of polenta the pre-cooked one that comes in a cylinder and the actual grain. For this recipe you need the grainy, boil on the stove version. Cooking polenta is very easy so don’t be intimidated if you haven’t made it before.
I was inspired to make a breakfast polenta bowl when on a Pinterest search. I had been searching for vegan breakfast ideas. Then I saw people using polenta in their vegan breakfasts as a sweet oatmeal replacement. But then I found the savory polenta breakfast from Cadry’s Kitchen and I knew I had to make my own version.
You can of course put anything you want in this bowl. However, I will say everything that was in the bowl worked really well together. There were a lot of fresh elements combined with warm cozy flavors.
3/4 cup polenta
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds (I used Daiya’s Cutting Board Shreds)
1 tsp nutritional yeast
Spicy Sesame Brussel Sprouts
15 Brussel sprouts, cut in half
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Cucumber Tomato Salad
1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
5-6 tomatoes, sliced
1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
Dash of salt and pepper (to taste)
Extras: vegan bacon and vegan parmesan cheese
- Prepare cucumber and tomato salad by adding all ingredients into a bowl. Toss to mix together and set aside while you prepare the rest of the elements of the bowl.
- To make the Brussel sprouts take a pan and fill it with a 1/4 cup of water. Add the Brussel sprouts cut side down. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium low heat. Brussel sprouts will turn bright green. Once water is all gone add in another 2-3 tbsp and cover and cook one more time. Now Brussel sprouts should be softer. Drizzle the sesame oil and add salt and red pepper flakes. Toss and remove from the heat.
- To make the polenta add the water and salt into a pot and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, lower the heat, add the polenta in and begin to whisk. The polenta will start to thicken. After about 1-2 minutes of whisking add in the vegan cheddar cheese and nutritional yeast. Continue to whisk for an additional 4-5 minutes. When done whisking the polenta will be thick, bright yellow and look creamy. You can give a taste and add in more salt. If the polenta is a bit gritty you can add in another 1/4 cup of water and whisk more. Then cover it for 3-5 minutes. *all polenta has different cooking times but the finer the polenta the less cooking time it needs.
- To cook the bacon I like to add a bit of coconut oil spray into a pan. Place the bacon in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side to get crispy.
- When ready to assemble the bowl add all the elements in. I topped the polenta with a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and vegan parmesan. I added a bit of salt and pepper to the whole bowl and enjoy!
This is enough for one big serving or two smaller servings.
Save to Pinterest ❤