Cauliflower florets are baked in a creamy, cheesy sauce and topped with a crispy breadcrumb layer. This make a great side dish and pairs perfectly with a side salad. The cheesy sauce is made with white beans and completely nut free.
I am all about anything cozy, creamy, and saucy, especially this time of year. This cauliflower bake is pure comfort while still sneaking in some veggies! The cheesy sauce is made from white beans. I love white beans so much and I really like incorporating them into my sauces. It is a great way to add creaminess without having to use cashews all the time. As much as I love cashews they can be expensive and beans are much cheaper. The beans will provide a bit of a different texture than cashews so please keep that in mind if this is your first time using beans in a sauce. If you prefer you can use cashews in place of the white beans. You can also find a delicious recipe for a nut-based cheesy sauce here. Another alternative is one that is half bean-based and half nut-based, you can find a recipe for that here.
Cauliflower is probably one of my favorite vegetables. It can do anything it wants and it is delicious. If you are not the biggest cauliflower fan I would suggest trying this anyway because I think you will like it. Otherwise, you can replace the cauliflower with broccoli or even brussel sprouts. Both would be great replacements. I choose to put tapioca starch in the sauce because I know it will make it a bit gooier and cheese-like but if you can’t find it, you can leave it out. I would pair this with some crispy tofu and a salad for an easy and delicious dinner!
*Sharing direct links to pictures and recipes is highly encouraged. PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste my recipes or pictures to any social media without my permission. Thank you!
1 (15-ounce [425g]) can white beans
1/4 cup (35g) carrots, chopped
1/2 cup (56g) vegan cheddar shreds
1 1/3 cup (320ml) nondairy milk
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets (about 525g)
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1/8 cup (14g) vegan cheddar shreds
Garnish with thyme and coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a high speed blender, blend all ingredients for the cheesy sauce until very smooth.
- Boil cauliflower in a large pot for 3 minutes to soften. Drain the cauliflower when done boiling.
- In an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch baking dish spread half of the cheese sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then add the cauliflower and pour the remaining cheese sauce over the top of the cauliflower. Sprinkle the vegan cheddar and breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then broil on high for 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and coarse sea salt.
Save to Pinterest