An easy side dish that is full of flavor and comfort. Bite size pieces of broccoli and potatoes are smothered in a creamy cashew sauce and then topped with breadcrumbs and vegan parmesan cheese. A perfect dish to go on your holiday table!
I originally wanted to make a scalloped potatoes but then I realized I didn’t feel like cutting the potatoes up into thin pieces. So then I thought let’s cube the potatoes instead. Then I remembered how much I used to love when I would eat broccoli with breadcrumbs on it so I decided to throw some broccoli in there too. Plus, it is a great way to sneak some veggies into a picky eaters diet!
The broccoli and potatoes are parboiled just to help ensure they fully cook while they bake. It is best to cut the broccoli and potatoes up into smaller pieces so they cook evenly. I prefer to use Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe as they are a bit softer and creamier. This recipe will work with russet potatoes, but you should boil them for an additional 5 minutes.
The sauce is cashew based which makes it extremely creamy and comforting. It is combined with vegan cheddar, vegan parmesan and a ton of seasonings to make a delicious savory cheese sauce. However, if you are allergic to nuts you can use the cheesy sauce recipe from the Cheesy Cauliflower Bake recipe. If you are gluten free be sure to use gluten free breadcrumbs! Overall, this dish is sure to be a pleaser!
Want more recipes? Pre-order my cookbook Plantiful: Over 75 Vibrant Vegan Comfort Foods! Coming out 1/12/21. FREE EBOOK FOR ANYONE WHO PRE-ORDERS, send a screenshot of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Sharing direct links to pictures and recipes is highly encouraged. PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste my recipes or pictures to any social media without my permission. Thank you!
3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 19 ounces [550g])
3 broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 10 ounces [280g])
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup (60g) raw cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 30 minutes
1 cup (240ml) non-dairy milk, unsweetened and unflavored
½ cup (56g) vegan cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon vegan parmesan
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ cup (30g) breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons vegan parmesan
*optional olive oil or coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a medium pot boil the cubed potatoes and broccoli florets for 5 to 7 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, add all of the ingredients for the cheesy sauce into a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Once the potatoes and broccoli are done boiling drain from the pot.
- Add the broccoli and potatoes into a 9 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Toss to coat evenly.
- Then pour half of the sauce over them and toss to coat. Top with the remaining sauce to coat everything.
- Finally, combine the breadcrumbs and vegan parmesan in a small bowl and sprinkle overtop of the dish. Optional: spray with an olive oil or coconut oil spray to make it extra golden and crispy.
- Bake for 25 minutes until bubbly and then broil on high for 5 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let the dish rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with microgreens as a garnish, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6
SAVE TO PINTEREST