Crispy egg rolls are filled with corn, black beans, spinach and lots of vegan cheesy goodness! Inspired by the egg rolls from Chili’s these are sure to make a great holiday appetizer. These egg rolls are also air fried!
When I was younger we used to go to Chili’s and I remember my dad would always get the Southwestern egg rolls. I remember I was a little bit confused by them because in my head egg rolls were from the Chinese restaurant and not filled with beans and corn. Come to tink of it, this may have been my first introduction to fusion food. I remember I really liked them and I thought they were so good. So I wanted to do a fun take on the recipe!
I decided to air fry these, since air frying has become my new obsession. I know I am a little bit late to the game on that one. As much as I love fried foods, it can be a pain to deep fry. So it is a lot easier, and quite honestly healthier, to use an air fryer. If you don’t have an air fryer you can bake these or you can also deep fry them if you are in the mood! It is totally up to your preference. For baking them I would bake them at 400°F (204°C) for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. To deep fry heat up about 2 cups of vegetable oil in a small saucepan and then fry for about 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
The filling on these egg rolls is very simple and very tasty! I paired it with a creamy avocado dip but you can pair these with vegan ranch, hot sauce or even queso. I was able to find egg roll wrappers at my local food store, usually in the frozen section. Always be sure to check the ingredients but most of them should be vegan-friendly. You can of course find them at a local Asian market or online, too! These are such a great little appetizer and I think you will really love them.
Want more recipes? Order my cookbook
Plantiful: Over 75 Vibrant Vegan Comfort Foods!
*Sharing direct links to pictures and recipes is highly encouraged. PLEASE DO NOT copy and paste my recipes or pictures to any social media without my permission. Thank you!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
1/3 red onion (about 75g), finely chopped
1 cup (165g) frozen corn
1 cup (244g) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups (85g) spinach
1/2 cup (60g) vegan cream cheese
1/2 cup (56g) vegan cheddar shreds
1 teaspoon taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt *optional
8 egg roll wrappers
Avocado Dipping Sauce
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup (30g) vegan cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- In a non-stick fry pan sauté the jalapeño, red onion, frozen corn, and spinach in oil for 5 minutes on medium heat, until spinach is wilted and onions are translucent.
- In a large bowl combine the sautéed vegetables, beans, cream cheese, cheddar shreds, taco seasoning, and salt (if using). Mix together until the cream cheese has melted and the filling is creamy.
- WATCH VIDEO FOR VISUAL: Take one egg roll wrapper and place it down on a clean surface in a diamond shape. Use your finger to lightly wet the edges with water. Then scoop about 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling into the bottom part, closest to you, of the egg roll wrapper. Shape it into a long log shape. Then fold the bottom point, closest to you, up over the filling. Press down the flat bottom part, closest to you, to help seal it. Then fold the sides over so you are left with sort of what looks like a square with a triangle on top. Use your finger to wet the edge of the top triangle part and then roll it up like a burrito. Repeat until you have made 8 egg rolls.
- Place in the air fryer try not to let them touch as it can lead to them becoming soggy where they were touching. Air fry at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes or until it has reached your desired level of crispiness. If you have a smaller air fryer you may need to do this in batches. Please be careful when removing the egg rolls from the air fryer as they will be very hot.
- Meanwhile, prepare the avocado dip by adding all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste the dip and adjust any seasonings to your preference. You can also add in other seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, red pepper flakes or anything else you like.
- When the egg rolls are done allow them to cool for just 1 to 2 minutes before serving. Garnish the dish with some sliced jalapeño and lime pieces.
Makes 8 egg rolls (serves 2 to 4)
SAVE TO PINTEREST
Plantifully Based® is part of the Amazon Affiliate Partner Program. Links on here may be from Amazon and if you decide to purchase through a link I will receive a small commission. This helps to run the blog and make more recipes!