I am a big fan of lentil bolognese. It is easy to make, comforting and full of incredible nutrients. Lentils are a powerhouse and if you don’t like them you should learn to like them. They are full of fibers, plant based protein and tons of incredible vitamins. There are a few variety of lentils but for this recipe it is best to go with green lentils. This lentil bolognese is made in your slow cooker so you can let dinner cook itself.
What I love about this recipe the most is that it is so allergy friendly. No soy, no gluten, no nuts and it is also oil-free. It is perfect for families or meal prep. I paired this with chickpea pasta but you can use zoodles, brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta or of course regular pasta. Whatever you choose this will be delicious.
Green lentils are best for this dish because you will be cooking this in a slow cooker. Green lentils are a bit studier and hold their shape better. I also feel like they are meatier in a way. If you want to use red lentils you can but I just find I like the green lentils better as a beef replacement.
I cooked this on high for 4 and a half hours. If you would prefer to cook this on low you could cook it for 7-8 hours. I also like to give the sauce a stir once in a while, while it cooks. I decided to cook the pasta separately from the sauce because chickpea pasta can be fragile and it only takes a several minutes to cook pasta anyway.
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 small vidalia onion, chopped [65g]
1 carrot, peeled and chopped [45g]
1 1/4 cups green lentils [250g]
2 1/4 cups water [560ml]
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce [810g]
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
1/4 tsp red chili flakes or to taste
1 tsp organic sugar
350g pasta of choice (I used chickpea pasta)
- Sauté the onion, carrot, garlic in water in a pan for 10 minutes with 1/4 cup of water. You can also add them directly to the crockpot but I like to develop the flavors first ahead of time.
- In your slow cooker add the cooked onions, carrots, garlic, lentils, water, lentils, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, chili flakes and sugar.
- Mix them together and cook on high for 4 hours and 30 minutes or cook on low for 7 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 20 minutes before you are ready to eat prepare your pasta of choice.
- Drain it and add it to the crockpot with the prepared lentils bolognese. Mix together.
- Serve with warm and sprinkle with extra red pepper flakes or vegan parmesan if you like (will make this no longer oil free depending on brand).
Makes 4 servings
PDF PRINTABLE LENTIL BOLOGNESE
Save to Pinterest ❤