Tofu scramble quickly became one of my favorite breakfasts when I went vegan. I did actually really enjoy eggs prior to going vegan so having this substitute is really nice. I tried many recipes and spent many times experimenting to get, what I think, is the perfect tofu scramble recipe.
Tofu scramble is actually very easy to make. It only requires a few ingredients and is ready in a few minutes. This recipe is very basic and delicious all on it’s own. But feel free to add any veggies, vegan cheese, hot sauce whatever you like to do to jazz it up!I use this recipe for so many things it is great in breakfast burritos, wraps, quesadillas, enchiladas, sandwiches, fried rice. Pretty much anywhere you would typically use an egg.
Not all tofus are created equal. There are many variations of firmness: silken, soft, medium, firm, extra firm. Softer tofus have more water, while firmer tofus have less water. I find it best to go for a medium or firm tofu for tofu scramble. Silken and soft are a little too soft and extra firm is too firm. The medium/firm tofu replicates scrambled eggs much better.
6 oz medium firm/firm tofu (better not to use extra firm or silken for this)
1/3 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened and unflavored
1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp turmeric
few cracks of black pepper
- Crumble the tofu into a bowl. You do not need to press the tofu.
- Add the non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric and black pepper.
- Mix well to incorporate.
- If using a non-stick pan you may want to add a little bit of vegan butter or oil to your pan.
- Cook the tofu scramble on a medium heat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. It will begin to bubble and the non-dairy milk will begin to cook off.
- After about 5 minutes the turmeric will have turned the tofu bright yellow and there shouldn’t be much liquid left.
- The tofu should look fluffy and resemble something like scrambled eggs.
- Remove from the heat and plate it.
This makes 1 serving.
Save to Pinterest ❤